By Benjamin Wiker
These are their evil opposites. From Machiavelli's The Prince to Karl Marx's The Communist Manifesto to Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male, those "influential" books have resulted in battle, genocide, totalitarian oppression, relations breakdown, and disastrous social experiments. And but those authors' undesirable rules are nonetheless well known and pervasive--in truth, they could effect your individual considering with no your knowing it. right here with the antidote is Professor Benjamin Wiker. In his scintillating new e-book, 10 Books That Screwed Up the area (And five Others that did not Help), he seizes every one of those evil books via its malignant center and exposes it to the sunshine of day. during this witty, discovered, and provocative exposé, you will learn:
* Why Machiavelli's The Prince used to be the muse for a protracted checklist of tyrannies (Stalin had it on his nightstand)
* How Descartes' Discourse on technique "proved" God's life purely via making Him a construction of our personal ego
* How Hobbes' Leviathan resulted in the assumption that we've got a "right" to no matter what we want
* Why Marx and Engels's Communist Manifesto may win the award for the main malicious ebook ever written
* How Darwin's The Descent of guy proves he meant "survival of the fittest" to be utilized to human society
* How Nietzsche's past solid and Evil issued the decision for an international governed completely via the "will to power"
* How Hitler's Mein Kampf used to be a type of "spiritualized Darwinism" that bills for his genocidal anti-Semitism
* How the pansexual paradise defined in Margaret Mead's Coming of Age in Samoa became out to be a construction of her personal sexual confusions and aspirations
* Why Alfred Kinsey's Sexual habit within the Human Male was once easily autobiography masquerading as science
Witty, surprising, and instructive, 10 Books That Screwed Up the realm deals a brief schooling at the worst principles in human history--and how we will stay away from them within the future.
Read or Download 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help PDF
Best conservatism & liberalism books
In his fresh ebook opposed to Liberalism, thinker John Kekes argued that liberalism as a political process is doomed to failure by way of its inner inconsistencies. during this spouse quantity, he makes a robust case for conservatism because the top replacement. His is the 1st systematic description and protection of the fundamental assumptions underlying conservative suggestion.
As americans, we are facing basic questions: First, are we actually ready to struggle this new warfare to wipe out terrorism and terrorist regimes, and win it decisively -- it doesn't matter what sacrifices it calls for or how lengthy it takes? moment, are we once more ready to educate our youngsters the basic ideas and values that make this state nice -- the values that make this state worthy struggling with for, residing for, and loss of life for?
Given that developing sure Biographies in 1991, Michael Oke has individually assisted with the writing of over a hundred inner most autobiographies. His consumers will not be the wealthy and well-known, yet these trying to write their tales for friends and family to get pleasure from. Mike's prior bestselling booklet Writing Your lifestyles tale attracted a lot media curiosity, together with a function with Steve Wright, Radio 2.
John Locke used to be an English thinker who's considered as the "father of liberalism. " His considering had a profound impact on political philosophy; in reality, the founding fathers who drafted the structure of the USA established a part of its content material upon Locke's tenets. although, it may be argued that those Lockean recommendations are ill-adapted to realities of the trendy global, and as such are the basis explanation for disorder in our physique politic today—and are hampering the Obama administration's makes an attempt to impression swap.
Extra info for 10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help
As more families gathered, divisions of labor arose, allowing for the creation of both necessities and luxuries and assuring social interdependence. At this point, the decline of man is already well on its way. The first revolution brings both virtue and vice. In the state of nature, sexual fidelity did not exist. But when a woman is labeled as one man’s own, adultery is created where before was sexual freedom. From luxury come dissipation and vice. No one was a glutton before a surplus of food existed.
In either case, reality is the appropriate test of our everyday beliefs and scientific theories. In contrast to this salutary realism, Descartes’ method of doubting everything but his own thought, has, for us poor moderns, made subjectivism the criterion of truth. But methodical egoism (the Latin for “I” is ego) isn’t the only bad thing Descartes sent down the river to us. The very way he defined the “I” has also befouled the historical stream. ” A ghastly conclusion, or rather a ghostly one, for by it Descartes imagined that we were pure spirits trapped in alien bodies (or more accurately, as we soon find out, alien machines).
4. ” 5. Since there is no God, and no good or evil by nature, there is no limit to what anyone can do to get what he desires, and no limit to what he can do to avoid physical pain. 6. Therefore each of us is free (has “liberty”) to do anything he wants to preserve his own life. ” 38 10 BOOKS THAT SCREWED UP THE WORLD 7. As life is defined merely as the endless pursuit of pleasure and avoidance of pain, then the preservation of life includes the endless pursuit of pleasure and the prevention of any possible obstacle by any possible means.
10 Books That Screwed Up the World: And 5 Others That Didn't Help by Benjamin Wiker